When it comes to technology, the only constant is change. And that change happens rapidly. Some changes can have an impact on blind people in a way that mainstream media simply doesn’t cover. That’s where The Daily Fibre comes in.
My name’s Jonathan Mosen, and for decades, I’ve been using, explaining, covering, working in and teaching technology. Every week day, I produce a show called The Daily Fibre. It brings you the latest developments in technology, explaining them from a blindness perspective where necessary or appropriate.
As well as bringing you the latest developments, you can geek along with me. Send in your comments via email or the phone. Email me at Jonathan at MushroomFM dot com or call the listener line on 404-458-0645.
Hear the Daily Fibre for free on Mushroom FM
On Mushroom FM, The Daily Fibre takes the form of a mixture of the latest technology news and great hits of the 50s through the 80s. In total, the show including music runs for an hour. It’s broadcast twice each week day, at 3 AM and then again at 3 PM US Eastern time. To find out when that is in your time zone, you can check the Mushroom FM schedule page. This is a great way for everyone to get the latest tech news at no charge, and get a feel for what the show is like when considering the premium option outlined below.
Get the premium Daily Fibre experience for the ridiculous price of around a quarter per episode
As you may appreciate, The Daily Fibre takes a long time to produce every day. I often check multiple sources about one story, collate the detail, and work on how best to explain the stories, both in general and from a blindness perspective.
If the Daily Fibre makes it easier for you to be informed about technology, would you consider supporting its continuation by subscribing to the premium version of the show? When I’m working on The Daily Fibre, I’m not working on other things. So, when people go premium, it helps justify the work I’m putting into it, plus you get some epic premium benefits.
- No music. Some people like all the tech news without the musical interruptions. Go premium, and you get The Daily Fibre as a talk show. Just the facts, mam.
- Get it first. We guarantee that as a premium member, you’ll have the opportunity to access The Daily Fibre before its first airing on Mushroom FM. Get the scoop and be first in the loop.
- Take it with you. This is the big one that our premium members love. When you go premium, you can listen to The Daily Fibre from the patreon apps for iOS and Android. You can download or stream the episodes direct from the Patreon website. And yes, best of all, you get your own premium podcast subscription, active as long as your premium membership is current, so The Daily Fibre comes to the same podcast app you’re using now, allowing you to speed it up and skip around. On the treadmill, while commuting, anywhere you have free time, a premium subscription to The Daily Fibre gives you your tech fix on your terms, in your own time.
All it costs is $5 USD per month. Since I produce the show every week day, that averages out to around a quarter per episode. I hope that by keeping the price so low, many people will feel it’s within their reach to support the show. You can pay with any major credit card, or through PayPal.
Some tips and tricks for signing up
The Daily Fibre premium is hosted by Patreon, a service that allows people to support content creators financially. If you’re not already signed up to patreon due to supporting another creator, here are a couple of tips that may help.
- If signing up on a mobile device, download the free Patreon apps for iOS and Android. It makes signing up a breeze.
- After signing up, iOS users can pay via PayPal, but the button to pay by credit card appears not to activate when VoiceOver is running. We’ve contacted Patreon about this. In the meantime, you can pay via your iPhone via PayPal, or, once you’ve created the account on your iPhone, switch back to a computer, log in, and pay via credit card.
- If signing up via your computer, please use a modern browser. In other words, avoid Internet Explorer.
- If you have a Facebook account, sign up by linking it to Patreon. It’s simple to do, speeds things up, and linking to Facebook in no shape or form gives Facebook access to any financial information. It’s merely used as an authentication process.
- Finally, a really big one that trips a lot of people up. If you’re sure you’ve done everything right, but the sign-up button is greyed, the usual reason is because it’s necessary to open the Patreon’s terms and conditions. It’s a good idea to read these things so you know what you’re agreeing to, but if you’re in a hurry, simply activate the terms and conditions link which will open them in a new browser tab. Close the tab again with Control+F4 in Windows, and you’ll be back on the sign-up form. The Sign-up button should now be available.
I’ve produced two audio guides that help you with signing up, then making the most of your subscription. Depending on how your browser is configured, pressing Enter on these links may cause the files to start playing immediately. If you want to download the files, you’ll need to right-click/press shift+F10 on the link, then choose save as.
Let’s go premium
If you’ve read the tips, or heard the guides, or you just like exploring on your own, choose this link to go to the page to get The Daily Fibre Premium for $5 USD per month.
Thanks very much for your support.